Dr. Randy Parker
Before taking the Presidency at Guilford Technical Community College (GTCC) in 2011, Dr. Randy Parker was President at Vance-Granville Community College in Henderson, N.C. from 2004-2011. Prior to his tenure at Vance-Granville Community College, he was at Lenoir Community College in Kinston, NC from 1981-2004. While at Lenoir he served as General Engineering Instructor, Program Head of Industrial Maintenance, Program Head of Electronics Engineering Technology, Administrator DuPont Training Project, Director of Industrial Training Services, Dean of Industrial Programs, Dean of Business and Industry Programs and Vice President of Instruction and Student Services.
Dr. Parker received an associate’s degree in mechanical drafting and design technology at Lenoir Community College. He earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering technology at UNC-Charlotte, a master’s degree in mechanical engineering, and a doctorate in higher education administration from NC State University.
Dr. Parker began his community college career as a General Engineering Instructor, has worked professionally in the engineering industry and is a licensed Professional Engineer in North and South Carolina. As a community college administrator, he has provided leadership in all phases of community college governance including budgeting, curriculum development, and personnel. He is also experienced in: strategic planning, campus master planning, design and construction, the design and development of accredited associate degree programs in engineering, manufacturing, logistics, business technologies and specialized industrial training programs for a variety of industries, the establishment of Early College High Schools, grants development and fundraising for his colleges’ foundations. He is the 2012 recipient of The I. E. Ready Distinguished Graduate Award for Leadership Excellence in Adult and Community College Education from the College of Education at NC State University.
Dr. Parker currently serves on the following Boards and Advisory Councils;
- Chairman, Business Advisory Council for the Guilford County Economic Development Alliance
- CEO, GTCC Innovative Resources Corporation
- High Point United Way Board
- North Carolina Campus Compact Executive Board
- NCSU College of Education Envisioning Excellence Board
- Greensboro Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Greensboro Economic Development Alliance
- High Point Partners
- High Point Economic Development Council
- Business High Point, Inc. Board
- Business High Point, Inc. Board Executive Committee
- High Point University Board of Visitors
- North Carolina Community College System Workforce Development Leadership Committee
- Union Square Campus Inc. Board of Directors
- Advisory Committee for Biotechnology in the Piedmont Triad
- Say YES Guilford County Operating Committee
GTCC is the third largest community college in North Carolina and serves over 40,000 students annually and is recognized nationally for its work in student success and economic and workforce development.